Lovely sunset

Lovely sunset

Tuesday, July 8, 2014

July is my time to rest!


Finally, finally feel like I might be on vacation now. This year we worked until June 26th. That was a long month of June both for teachers and kids! Consider when we had our beloved state tests. (April/May). Our kiddos started checking out shortly after completing them. Such a challenge trying to explain to them that we were not done learning yet!

Then family graduations, a few last soccer trips for my own daughter and, before you knew it,  JULY 4th!

Lots of driving -- family members looking to purchase property on beautiful Keuka Lake,
my brother's cottage on scenic Port Bay. No trips shorter than an hour. Top it off with my husband also being on vacation the same week!

So, I have had two amazing days in a row where I could sleep in as long as I wanted and can decide when I am ready to be productive. For sure, I have a coffee appointment at 2ish. Think I will just about be ready by then.

Teachers -- well, at least, this teacher -- needs this time to rest from always being "on". You can flip your classroom all you want, make the students in charge, get rid of your desk etc, etc. It won't change the fact that we are ultimately on duty until the end of the day with a few brief breaks. A planning period (eaten up by responding to e-mails, bathroom breaks, delivering various and sundry items, reading required texts, grading papers, making copies...) and a lunch break (always less than 30 min.) are the only times you feel the sense of urgency diminish at all.

So just having a little time in July to do nothing is really ok. Being busy is great but our human soul does need time to slow down a bit and feel the peace. Yes, I am only too aware of all the house cleaning that is beckoning. I am quite aware that I need to schedule college visits for this summer. I need to shop for a dress for my son's wedding in October. There is much to be done but yesterday, today and tomorrow I will be focusing on breathing, thinking, planning, reading, and resting. This is my  vacation. I need this. I worked as hard as I can remember this year. I have earned a few days to reboot. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment