Lovely sunset

Lovely sunset

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Hardwood Flooring- Wait for it...

Today I will have the first of what I hope is many hardwood floors installed in my house.  We built this house about 15 years ago when hardwoods were not in fashion. All those HGTV shows have sent the lovely, plush carpets packing. Unfortunately, my husband does not enjoy watching any of those shows. His favorite shows are Antique Road Show and Pickers on the History Channel. He likes old things. He likes our carpeting despite how old and worn it is. He likes the linoleum flooring in our kitchen and dining room. He has no idea how painful it is to wash that floor on your hands and knees to bring back any semblance of shine or luster.  He doesn't remember his mother ever replacing anything in their house, so why should we? Oiy.. So, I have begun slowly to creep up from behind and stealthily begin to update a few items in our house. It helped that our daughter demanded, asked, begged, pleaded for hardwoods in her bedroom. It also helped that prior to it being her bedroom, it had been her older brother's and he did some major damage to the carpet. Working together (a rarity for a mother and 16 year old daughter) we prevailed. Today is the day.  The flooring is nearly done and I am thrilled.  It will really be an improvement to what was there and should help pave the way for more rooms being done. It helps that I found someone who would do just one room for me. It helps also that I managed to squirrel away more money this school year so I can pay for this out of my account. I can't wait to see the finished product. If  I can figure it out, I may even post a pic! Hah! Let's not get ahead of ourselves here. One step at a time...

No comments:

Post a Comment